Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beardman sketches


I'm glad to be contributing this blog. I've been watching what's going on here for months and it's actually what made me decide to take Jason's class. I feel like I have improved a ton already. Here are some sketches for week 4. I chose the Beardman because after seeing the last class' work it seemed like most everyone else chose the other two references and I didn't want to be influenced by those. I'm having trouble exaggerating the features and I tend to border on portraiture. I know that I really need to push more in the very loose thumbnail stage.

6 comments:

Brett W. McCoy said...

Wow, coming along great! I haven't decided who I am doing yet... I am sketching all of them and then deciding which one to finish.

arquebus said...

Im really surprised you captured likeness as well as you did. To me beardman is exactly that, a guy hiding behind a huge beard. To me it would have been impossible to draw that and have it come out recognizeable. I think you did a good job of exagerating also, the character looks sort of cartoony but still gets likeness of that guy. I think its strange that Jason chose a guy with a beard for this lesson considering we havent learned how to paint hair yet.

Tim Bye said...

Nice work! It's easy to be a bit portraity when trying to nail the likeness - I do it all the time! Lots of quick thumbnail sketches is the key - I'm trying to push myself that way! Great stuff!

Brett W. McCoy said...

Aquebus said:

"I think its strange that Jason chose a guy with a beard for this lesson considering we havent learned how to paint hair yet."

You don't need to be able to paint hair for this assignment -- it's the light and dark values we have to concentrate on, and something I somewhat missed out on in exercise 3. I got caught up in the details too early on and my picture suffered for it.

However, an easy way to paint hair: create a brush in PhotShop made up from a small square (30 x 30 or so) filled with dots and blobs (you will need to adjust the spacing to about 2% for the brush tip). You can use it various resolutions for hair, as well as painting highlights.

Booby's class on painting covers this in much greater detail, BTW.

Brett W. McCoy said...

Oops... how embarassing...

BOBBY'S class

Doug said...

Thanks for the comments. I think I've come up with how I want it to look.