Friday, March 14, 2008

Bruce in technicolor....


Well this is how far I got for the deadline yesterday. I think I learned enough to actually use this combination technique going forward but I'm not 100% happy with the final result - I think it could go a little further. I used the glazing technique Jason taught using his "little brother" painting. I found I had to dull down the 3 colors using black and white before I started to prevent it looking to "garish". I also flattened and painted directly into it a little at the end. I still need to work on this process as I fumbled around a lot. I do think this is a really great technique allowing you to concentrate on values first and color later. Before Jason's lesson I had tried this technique before but could never elevate it past looking like a "colorized" black and white photograph which is where the painting opaque on top in some areas comes in. Thanks to Jason for another great lesson. Great stuff from everyone this week - I can't believe there's only 4 assignments left - time to kick it in gear!!


8 comments:

Patrick LaMontagne said...

NICE detail! Love the texturing you got on the skin.

Chantale Boudreau said...

Wow! I love this one! Nice job with the skin texture.

Tim Bye said...

Well it's alright for an amateur. Just kidding it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Another great piece! Very life-like quality, especially his eyes. Loved your beardman as well. Did you use Painter for Bruce as well? And if so, which brushes did you use?

btw, love seeing all the work of my classmates here. Fascinating to see what people come up with based on the same picture.

Check out the caricatures of this guy http://caricaturcios.blogspot.com/
Very strange, but very appealing. I love his Yassar Arafat piece in the 2006 section.

Mark Sinclair said...

Thanks guys! Soesoeky - Yes I use Painter almost exclusively. As far as brushes? That's a tough one...I don't really use 1 or 2 in particular. I have a custom palette set up of the ones I use most oftten and just grab them as I go based on what I'm doing...I have a few chalk, pen, oil, pastel and a few custom ones...I'm all over the place...lol.

Anonymous said...

See your point :) ) Cheers!

- said...

I really like it.

Mike Hasson, About Faces said...

Mark, I love the texture, the focus to unfocused areas, the likeness...this is very well done.