Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The World has Lost a great Artist, but I have lost a good friend!

Last night I received the worst news, that my dear friend of 9 years, Ismael Roldan passed away at the young age of 45. This is very difficult for me to accept, I'll try to keep this brief, but I just want to share a little bit about Ismael and what he meant to me.





Years ago, when I was first getting started as a professional artist, I was really struggling to figure out how to get work, how to develop my art professionally in a way that would grab the attention of art directors. I wasn't getting the kind of work that I wanted and I was getting tired of seeing the same artists being published over and over again and not understanding how they got where they were? I had a handful of artists at that time that were my inspiration. I would collect they're work out of magazines and hang them on the wall in my studio. I thought that if I surrounded myself with excellence, I would eventually pick up some of this excellence.

One of my most favorite artists at the time was Ismael Roldan. His work was inspiring to look at. Great exaggeration and likeness, great structure, humor, draftsmanship, perspective, you name it, he was what I wanted to be like.









So one day I gathered up the courage to write him an email, I basically told him that I was a big fan of his work and that I would love to work for publications as well, I thanked him for the inspiration and I attached a piece I had just finished that I was really proud of (to show him what I could do).

Well, I wasn't sure if he would ever write back, but to my astonishment, he wrote back that very same day. I remember being so excited and nervous to read the email. The email was straight up IN YOUR FACE truth about how horrible my work was! A very harsh and blunt critique. He told me my hands sucked, that I lacked knowledge in structure and form, and he actually went on and on. Even though the critique was harsh, he was able to somehow be very kind, he said one good thing, he said I could render like non other, but that won't help any if I can't fix the rest of my problems.

I was crushed, but at the same time, I was motivated to prove myself to Ismael. I didn't want this artist that I looked up to so much to think I was horrible. So I began to work on the things that he pointed out flawed in my work. I drew hand after hand after hand. I worked on skulls, and bone structure, I studied cross hatching and form. I sent him email after email, everything I did, I would send to him. And every time, he'd slam me harder than the time before.

I kept coming back for more, time and time again. Eventually, we became close friends, and slowly, we also became "peers" and we began to exchange work with each other seeking perspective and ideas from one another. I still remember the first time he sent me one of his paintings and wanted me to be honest and tell him what I thought about it. As time went on, we began more and more to talk about our kids and how important they were and how blessed we felt to have kids. Occasionally we'd talk about art, but mostly about life and what we were up to that week.





This is me with Ismael last year at the ISCA's 17Th Annual caricature convention where I won the Gold Nosey as well as many other awards, including a Guest of Honor Awarded by Ismael. That award meant more to me than any of them, and receiving that award from Ismael felt like coming full circle as an artist. I remember seeing him in the crowd as I received my awards, he looked like a proud older brother. Ismael told me that the first email he sent to me was so harsh, because he wanted me to know the truth so I would improve, but mostly he didn't think I'd ever bother him again. It was to his astonishment that I wrote back again and again. He tried to get rid of me, but instead fused a friendship that I hold very dear.


I will never forget the kindness and time Ismael shared with me. He took me under his wing and I wouldn't be where I am today as an artist if it wasn't for his talent and kindness. I feel as if I have lost a friend, a mentor, an inspiration, but mostly, a brother.







Throughout the years, Ismael and I exchanged caricatures of each other. This is the most recent one that he did of me, and the most recent one that I did of him. We also exchanged originals, I own several originals of his. He also sent me books throughout the years of artists that he thought would inspire me. The man was generous.











Ismael, you will truly be missed!

40 comments:

Charles Santoso said...

You're really lucky to have a friend like him. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. :(

Regards,
Charles

Char Reed said...

I'd been following Ismal's work through mentions from you Jason. To hear this today makes me really sad. After hearing the news, I went to his website and blog and I really admired his work, I feel it's the least I could do. It's such a shame to lose a friend, mentor and someone you feel is close like family. I'm truly sorry for you loss and for the loss of the greater caricature community.

Sincerely,
Char Reed

Miquel Montlló said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, I'm sure he was very proud of you and your work, and the things that you learned from him.

Ricky Holtman said...

Sorry to hear of your loss and will be sending good vibes your way and his family.
Ricky

機基差差 said...

沒有友情,人生何樂?........................................

背影 said...

生活總是起起伏伏,心情要保持快樂才好哦!!........................................

曉豪 said...

18havno185st成人片0204aaaaaaa片俱樂部免費影片欣賞aaaaa7777788卡提諾成人成人 影片日本卡通野球拳日本卡通色情網日本卡通h漫日本卡通少女日本女藝人圖片網站日本女傭a片日本女優名字日本女優圖庫日本女優姓名日本女優寶貝視訊 辣妹打手槍凹凸電影院線上免費看影片微風成人情色 網微風成人sex999免費影片情色聊天松島楓免費影片a383girl影音城維克斯成人999無瑪試看圖av影片下載網際論壇情色小站曼雪兒黃色小說曼雪兒色 f 情小說曼雪兒色情免費小說曼雪兒色情小說曼雪兒色情文章

劉承合 said...

A friend in need is a friend indeed. ....................................................

joancasilo said...

I have gone through this blog. I found it very interesting and helpful. Nowadays I am working from my home and studying in a reputed college.
So this blog really doing great for me.


work and study

育霖 said...

great msg for me, thanks a lot dude˙﹏˙

逸凡逸凡 said...

Nice Post~!!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PorshaCoghlan梁子珠 said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................

蘇pet0701em_halvorsen said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

香廷 said...

沒有友情,人生何樂?........................................

韋于倫成 said...

視訊電話ggoo 視訊-愛情館 黑色豪門企業綜合娛樂論壇 8591論壇 avonline免費a片 xo7777net 貓咪論壇 視訊做愛 0951影片下載avdvd mobile01論壇 免費視訊ggoo 成人論壇 視訊聊天-成人網 plus論壇 交友網 bbs論壇 s383av730 香港論壇 月光論壇 一本道a片東京熱論壇區 aio視訊交友愛情館 78論壇 69成人視訊 伊利論壇 666成人網 bt論壇 禁地論壇discovery影片下載 無碼下載56com影片下載 壞朋友論壇 56com影片下載內衣模特兒寫真 台灣情色綜合論壇 拓網交友AV影城 34C正妹拓網交友 拓網交友視訊聊天室 拓網交友 黑色豪門企業娛樂綜合論壇 貓貓論壇 我愛78論壇 網際論壇 禁地論壇 上班族視訊情色小站 視訊情色小站 情色a片-情色小站 北台灣視訊sexygirlvideomovie sexygirlvideomovie animalsex 0401成人交友 情色論壇-情色視訊 34c視訊交友90739 天空交友 go2av-視訊網 蕃薯藤交友 視訊聊天sexygirlsgetfucked辣妹 視訊交友天堂90739 高雄視訊34c正妹 免費視訊34c辣妹微風論壇 月宮貼圖色妹妹嘟嘟情人色網 免費視訊gogo

NealVa憲妤 said...

成人影貼 彩虹視訊聊天室 聊天影音 85cc歐美 免費影片欣賞 同志交友 女優寫真貼圖 色情性感遊戲 影片h 偷拍熟女露點照 視訊美女聊天室 可愛 情趣網 微風18 少女圖片 成人影城 免費線上觀賞a片 情色貼貼 免費線上看色情片 徵一夜情人 av383影音 完美女人幫 寫真 色美女貼圖 辣妹爆乳 人妻-免費線上 熟女 a片下載 空姐影片 a片a圖a漫 巨乳女寫真 85cc論壇 微風人成 aa片試看 777成人 人之初貼圖 援交留言 嘟嘟情色網 鋼管秀奶 av片線上看 洪爺影片欣賞 國中大奶正妹 sex情色貼片 線上下載av 巨乳人妻 夫妻性愛貼圖 後宮無碼a片 限制級小說 0204成人 國中生性愛 美女走光

韋成 said...

Wise men learn by other mens mistakes; fools by their own. ............................................................

GlenS筱財 said...

善言能贏得聽眾,善聽才能贏得朋友。 ............................................................

思姿穎穎 said...

看後受益良多,謝謝∪ˍ∪..................................................

kittycha said...

Beauty, unaccompanied by virtue, is as a flower without perfume...................................................

佳梅 said...

你不能左右天氣,但你可以改變心情.............................................................

劉彥皓 said...

我的老天爺~內容真是太棒了.................................................................

婷珊 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。.................................................................

美方 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

玉苓玉苓 said...

困難的不在於新概念,而在於逃避舊有的概念。............................................................

JasonBirk佳琪 said...

留言是種美德-感謝分享..................................................................

蕭惟秀蕭惟秀 said...

下次再來希望可以看到新的作品喔。............................................................

江淑如 said...

不錯唷~我會常常來 >"<............................................................

d1gd21g231g21s said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

陳佑發 said...

海鷗要高飛,必先遠退。花蜜要香醇,必先久釀。............................................................

佳瑩佳瑩 said...

喜歡自己的另一層意義是「接納自己」。..................................................

吳淑芬吳淑芬 said...

Prevention is better than cure...................................................

麗王王珠 said...

Make hay while the sun shines...................................................

莉真詹詹莉真詹詹 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

家唐銘 said...

唯有用熱情、用智慧去觀察事物,這事物才會把他的秘密,洩漏給我們............................................................

黃子黃麗旺軒 said...

Subtlety is better than force. ......................................................................

7987 said...

永遠支持你呀!!!謝謝格主..................................................................

峻胡邦慧v帆 said...

精彩的部落格 值得一推再推 支持你..................................................................

蕾蕾 said...

很棒的分享~~~來留個言囉~~~~............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

人們不缺少力量,他們缺少意志。..................................................